• This is a test breaking news headline.

Social media changes student-teacher interaction

Ninon Becquart
December 27, 2011
Filed under Commentary, Opinion

It’s no secret that technology, specifically social media, has caused a huge change in the way that we live. Just take the fact that the Fremont Unified School District (FUSD) is telling teachers not to add their students on social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or MySpace. Social media... Read More »

Occupy Hatchet (How journalism influences me)

Ninon Becquart
December 7, 2011
Filed under Staff Blog

It seems as if the past few months have been all about Occupy, Occupy, and Occupy.   Journalism has given me the opportunity to see this movement firsthand- I myself have had the opportunity to go with a classmate and interview people at Occupy... Read More »

Author promotes love not war for Afghanistan

Ninon Becquart, Online Editor-in-Chief
July 25, 2011
Filed under News

Joseph David Osman likes to bring up the Afghan proverb that  Afghans will never surrender to war, but they will surrender to kindness. Osman spoke in Fremont June 24 about his unique perspective on the war in Afghanistan and how it should be ended. He is speaking around the country to promote... Read More »

Jasmine Magallanes, martial arts

Jasmine Magallanes, martial arts

Ninon Becquart
June 9, 2011
Filed under People, Profiles

Jasmine Magallanes from Class of 2011 demonstrates her talent in martial arts.

French students looking for host families

Ninon Becquart
May 25, 2011
Filed under News

Madame Pardini is looking for 10 families to host the French exchange students that are coming to Fremont from July 11 to July 31. Families would only have to provide a bed and meals for the exchange students. From Monday to Friday, the French students would take part in activities as a group with... Read More »

Baseball game

Baseball game

Ninon Becquart
April 27, 2011
Filed under A's field trip 4-20-11, Uncategorized

When I went to our field trip on April 20, 2011, it was the first baseball game I had ever been to.  It was a pretty exciting experience, though I was slightly confused. One thing that confuses me is that baseball seems so quiet. Whenever I'm watching other sports, there seems to be a lot of noise made... Read More »

Students take part in Day of Silence

Students take part in Day of Silence

Ninon Becquart
April 19, 2011
Filed under News

On Friday, students at Washington High School participated in Day of Silence.  Day of Silence, according to www.dayofsilence.org, is a day in which students take a vow of silence in order to bring attention to the silence brought on by anti-LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) bullying.... Read More »

Positive lifestyles thrive among the religiously active

Ninon Becquart
April 18, 2011
Filed under Commentary, Opinion

I am going to start off by admitting that I am not a very religious person. I do not attend any sort of religious establishment regularly, and I do not pray much at all. I don't even adhere to any specific religion. However, just by looking through the lives of my closest friends and family,... Read More »

2009-2010 Yearbook is featured in trade publication

Ninon Becquart
March 17, 2011
Filed under News

Washington High School's 2009-2010 was featured in the Ideas That Fly, a trade publication of Herff Jones, a company that publishes many yearbooks throughout the United States.  The trade publication is a book that the company puts out, which yearbook classes pay for to look at in order to get new... Read More »

High School Course Catalog offers different kinds of classes

Ninon Becquart
March 9, 2011
Filed under News

With registration coming up, students are getting ready to make choices for their next school year - which means looking through the High School Course Catalog.  The High School Course Catalog offers a myriad of classes to choose from, but inconveniently, does not list where the courses are offered.... Read More »

Speech and Debate sets benchmark for tournaments

Ninon Becquart
February 25, 2011
Filed under News

About 198 students, 198 judges, and 50 officials from the Coast Forensics League attended State Qualifier for Parliamentary and Public Forum debate at Washington High School on January 5.  Both students and advisers from the Speech and Debate Club agreed that the tournament was a success. Nishita... Read More »

Gold Star license plates honor fallen military service members

Ninon Becquart
January 13, 2011
Filed under News

Gold Star mom Dianne Layfield contributed to a project which has created special Gold Star Family license plates, and after six long years, the hard work has paid off. The idea for the project came from her son Travis's death. Travis Layfield attended Washington High School, and always aspired to... Read More »

Cherry Liu, artist – oil painting

Cherry Liu, artist – oil painting

Ninon Becquart
January 11, 2011
Filed under Multimedia, Profiles

Profile of artist Cherry Liu.

“Winter Ball?” Huskies find creative ways to ask

Ninon Becquart
December 9, 2010
Filed under Student Life

During a certain week of December, flowers are in abundance at Washington. Boys, both brave and bold, carry around bouquets until the... Read More »

Washington Cheerleaders Place First Again

Ninon Becquart
November 8, 2010
Filed under Sports

On November 7th, 2010, Washington High School hosted the regional cheer competition held by the United Spirit Association (USA).  Washington cheerleaders performed... Read More »

PTSA Clothes Closet project a success

Ninon Becquart
October 25, 2010
Filed under News, Uncategorized

Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) opened up their closets and their hearts during the second week of school with the Clothes Closet that they recently created. PTSA received a great response from parents attending the first meeting of the year, and managed to collect about 100 items of clothing... Read More »

Gymnastics Scores

Gymnastics Scores

Ninon Becquart
October 14, 2010
Filed under Sports

Due to differences in scoring, gymnastics meet results will be posted separately from the Sports Center and will instead be updated here. October 6, 2010 Varsity/Elite 1st place- Mission San Jose (141.45... Read More »

ASB puts the icing on the cake for September birthdays

Ninon Becquart
October 7, 2010
Filed under Student Life

[singlepic id=286 w=320 h=240 float=right]"Let them eat cake," Marie Antoinette said. That is just what ASB (Associated Student Body) did on September 30th.  The fun event was just a peek at what a new comission in ASB, the student and staff appreciation comission, is bringing to Washington.  Sarah... Read More »

Speech and Debate starts out the year strong

Ninon Becquart
September 26, 2010
Filed under Student Life

[singlepic id=204 w=320 h=240 float=right]Most students on campus know about the Speech and Debate Club, however, what does this club actually do?  First off, there are different parts to the club: the officers, Speech captains, and then Debate (which includes both Parliament and Lincoln Douglas) captains... Read More »

San Bruno Fire Victim Copes with the Aftermath

Ninon Becquart
September 17, 2010
Filed under News

September 9th, 2010 Jennifer Lewis was just like any other teenager on a Thursday night---eating dinner and doing homework.... Read More »